Video game consoles have become more advanced than ever in recent years. Not only have game options expanded and graphics improved to become more realistic, but modern day consoles such as the PlayStation 4 offer more than just video games. These gaming systems can become connected devices that allow you to purchase games, compete with players around the world, and even surf the web. In order to do that, the right equipment is needed and that includes a wireless router.
What is a Wireless Router?
A wireless router is an electronic device that is hooked to your modem to allow you to connect to the internet without having to be hardwired directly to any equipment. A wireless router allows you to connect all your internet-enabled devices including laptops, desktop computers, smartphones, and even video game consoles directly to the internet wirelessly. Instead, a router is connected to the modem using an Ethernet cable, and the router allows the signal to be transmitted across your other devices. If you have Wi-Fi in your home or business, you have a wireless router that is attached to your modem to wirelessly transmit the signal to different devices.
Why You Need a Router for Your PlayStation 4
Now that you understand the purpose of a router, you may wonder why you need one for your PlayStation 4. While it is entirely possible to enjoy your game console without an internet connection, you will not get the most out of your system without it. Your PlayStation 4 is much more than just a gaming console. When hooked to the internet, you can take your gaming to the next level, and even go beyond that for a full entertainment experience. (http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/ps4-questions)
When connected to the internet, you can buy games, add-ons, character packs, and other additional features that can be downloaded right to your console - no game discs required. Don't have a partner to battle it out with on the latest fighting game? Not a problem if you have an internet connection. You can connect through the PlayStation network with other players all around the world. In addition to just gaming, you can also use your internet connection to surf the web, download music and movies, access popular apps like Netflix, and so much more. However, you can only do this when you have an internet connection, and the best way to go about connecting your system is with a wireless router that easily hooks up to your modem.
What You Need to Have Before Making Your Purchase
Purchasing a wireless router for your PlayStation 4 doesn't mean you'll automatically be connected to the internet just by connecting a few wires. In fact, you'll need to make sure that you have all required services and equipment before you even make the purchase. The most important thing that you'll need is high-speed internet service. You can purchase this from your cable or satellite provider, or you may want to shop around for ISPs (Internet Service Providers) in your area.
If you have internet service, you should already have a modem. If you're signing up for internet service, you can typically rent or buy a modem from your ISP, or you can purchase one online or from an electronics store. You must have a modem in order to use your router.
You may also need to purchase separate Ethernet cables that are used to connect your new router to your modem. In many cases, your purchased router will include all cables that you need to get started. However, this is not always the case, so you will want to make sure you have all required wiring in order for your router to work properly.
Things to Consider Before You Buy a Wireless Router for Your PlayStation 4
Since there are so many wireless routers on the market, you want to make sure that you know what to look for before making your purchase. You want to ensure that you're going to get the best performance at a price that fits your budget. Not all routers are created equally, and you need to know what your new equipment should have before you make your purchase.
The first thing you should consider is the price. You want to buy something that you can afford, but at the same time, you also don't want to purchase something that is too cheap and doesn't perform as expected. In general, you should expect to spend around $100 for a high-quality router that can be used with your PlayStation 4, as well as your other wireless internet-enabled devices.
A very important thing to look for is the ability to easily change your settings. (https://www.flashrouters.com/blog/2014/01/08/what-are-the-fastest-best-ps4-routers/) To get the most out of a router for your PlayStation 4, you want to make sure that you can change such settings as advanced security options to protect your privacy, extending your wireless range (which is especially important if your router will be located a good distance away from your console), and controls that allow you to change how your bandwidth is allocated. If you're a hardcore gamer, you'll want to make sure that you have the best possible internet connection to avoid interruptions during gameplay.
You will also want to consider the speed of the processor and the stability of the firmware. By investing in a quality router now, you will be able to avoid dropped connections and you will enable your system to handle uploads, downloads, and updates.
Reviews of Wireless Routers for PlayStation 4
NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band Wi-Fi Gigabit Router (R7000)
- This product has advanced features that allow you to easily change settings, including bandwidth priority.
- This router has Beamforming+ technology for extended range and signal for a reliable connection.
- This product is easy to install and configure.
- It comes equipped with automatic backup software.
- It has a Dual Core 1GHz processor and 1900Mbps combined WiFi speed for the speed you need.
- It is equipped to prevent network lag.
- At under $200, it's a reliable device at a midrange price point.
- Occasional lags may result in need for system reboot, which would then require settings and passwords to be manually reset, which could be a hassle.
- Long delays between changing settings can prove to be frustrating.
- It may require some tweaking and troubleshooting out of the box to get the fastest, most reliable wireless connection.
Check out our full review here.
TP-Link AC1200 Gigabit Wireless Wi-Fi Router
- At a price point under $100, this is an option for the budget-minded gamer.
- This product has dual band 1200Mbps Wi-Fi speeds.
- The Tether app that works with this router makes setup quick and easy.
- The router has three external antennas that provide extended range.
- It is easy to update the firmware, which is made available immediately so your product is always up-to-date.
- Boost in speed isn't as noticeable on more expensive, high-tech routers.
- It is not as fast as other routers, which may prove to be a deal breaker for hardcore gamers.
- The range is not as far as more expensive gaming routers.
- It works better than standard routers, but is not as fast and reliable as other gaming routers.
NETGEAR Nighthawk X4 Ultimate Gaming Router - AC2350 4X4 MU-MIMO Dual Band WiFi Gigabit Route
- The four-stream architecture is not just ideal for gaming but also for high-definition 4K video streaming.
- It has AC2350 WiFi-600+1733 Mbps speeds, making it one of the fastest routers on the market.
- It supports Open Source software and has Open Source support.
- The 1.4GHz dual Core Processor prevents lag.
- Dynamic QoS allocates bandwidth exclusively to gaming if so desired.
- It has four external ports for connecting various devices.
- Setup is quick and easy. Cons
- At over $200, it is one of the more high-end gaming routers.
- If being used with Apple devices, it is more prone to lags and other issues.
- Customer service for the company is lacking.
Check out our full review here.
TP-Link AC1900 Wireless Wi-Fi Gigabit Router with Touch Screen Setup
- Upgrades to 802.11ac for the fastest internet connection.
- This product works seamlessly for gaming or 4K video streaming with 5GHz (1300Mbps) and 2.4GHz (600Mbps) speeds.
- The 1GHz dual-core processor allows for multiple processes without lags or interruptions.
- This router uses beam forming for the strongest, most reliable connections.
- This product features a touchscreen interface can be used to set up your PlayStation 4 and other connected devices.
- Priced at just under $200, this router has a lot of features of the more expensive routers without breaking the bank. Cons
- It is slightly more difficult to set up than other routers.
- The parental controls are difficult to set up, which may be a problem for those with children who go online.
- If router has to be reset, new Wi-Fi name and password will need to be set up each time, which can be time-consuming and an annoyance.
NETGEAR Orbi High-performance AC3000 Tri-band Mesh WiFi System
- This state-of-the-art system provides whole-home Wi-Fi connections that are fast and reliable.
- The system covers up to 4,000 square feet for strong connections no matter where you are at home.
- This product provides speeds that are comparable to wired systems.
- It is easy to set up and configure right out of the box.
- It offers reliable support for multiple devices. Cons
- The price point is around $400, making it one of the most expensive routers on the market.
- The mobile app and software seem a bit outdated when compared to the current technology used in the product.
- It is difficult to perform manual upgrades of firmware.
- It does not have QoS settings.
Final Thoughts and Recommendations
For those who don't want to completely break the bank but want a quality router for PlayStation 4 gaming, the TP-Link AC1900 Wireless Wi-Fi Gigabit Router with Touch Screen Setup is a great choice. The touch screen functionality makes it easy to set up and configure settings, while the router is equipped to handle multiple devices while maintaining fast speeds and a reliable connection. This isn't the cheapest router out there, but it's priced well below some of the higher-end products that don't perform quite as well, and offers many features that the cheapest models do not. This product is known for its speed, wide range, and ease of use, whether it's being used to play the latest PlayStation game or watch 4K UHD videos. Gamers that want to be able to play uninterrupted will want to invest in this high-quality router.